Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Beetroot & Horseradish Tzatziki

It took a bit of an effort to wiggle the horseradish free from its rich dark earthen bed. And even more effort to scrape it clean and grate it. But there I had it: grated horseradish, fresh from the small Maine farm where I was staying. The beetroot was so fresh, its juice ran free the moment I cut it. And then there was the garlic: fresh and juicy, it broke rather than crushed when I hit it with the flat part of my kitchen knife. The smell of freshly picked produce, I tell you: it is intoxicating!

Beetroot & Horseradish Tzatziki

2 small beetroot (or 1 medium), grated
1 or 2 cucumber (to make a cup full of grated cucumber)
1 tbsp freshly grated horseradish
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 cup thick (Greek) yogurt
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 small tsp sea salt (or to taste)
1 large clove of garlic

Grate the cucumber fine and drain in a sieve until most excess liquid is drained off. Add to the grated beetroot and horseradish in a bowl. In another bowl, mix together yogurt, chives, mustard, garlic, and salt. Taste if it is to your liking, and then carefully spoon in the cucumber, beetroot and horseradish.

I served it with toasted pita bread and a side salad of cherry tomatoes, diced kohlrabi, small lettuce leaves, and edible flowers.

I cooked this staying at the New Moorings Farm in Sedgwick, Maine. See the story With A Pitchfork In My Kitchen here


No comments:

Post a Comment